For use with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations.
The purpose of this document is to instruct the user on creating financial dimension sets in Dynamics 365. A financial dimension set contains either financial dimensions or financial dimension combinations. The main account is always included and can be combined with other financial dimensions. The main account can also be the only financial dimension that is included in a financial dimension set.
The order in which financial dimensions in a set are displayed determines how transactions are sorted and fields are printed on reports.
For example, a financial dimension set includes the Department and Cost center financial dimensions. The financial dimension set is set up so that the Department amounts are displayed first on reports, followed by Cost center amounts.
When you view or report on financial transactions, the financial dimension sets that are defined can be individually or in pairs. You can select a primary and secondary financial dimension set. The secondary financial dimension set includes more detailed information about the amounts that are in the primary financial dimension set.
- Click General ledger > Chart of accounts > Dimensions > Financial dimension sets.
- Click New to create a line for a dimension set.
- In the Financial dimension set field, enter a unique identifier for the dimension set.
- In the Name field, enter a brief description of the dimension set.
- Move all the financial dimensions that you want to include in the set from the Available financial dimensions group to the Selected financial dimensions group. The financial dimension that you want to be displayed first must appear first in the Selected financial dimensions group.
- The first time you add a Financial Dimension Set, you will click the Build Balances button. Once that is set, you will create a job to rebuild balances over periods of time. This will be outlined in a separate article.
The following table provide descriptions for the controls in Financial dimension sets form.
|Financial dimensions||Select financial dimensions for the selected financial dimension set by moving the relevant financial dimension or main account from the Available financial dimensions list to the selected financial dimensions list. The bar underneath the list displays the order of the selected financial dimension set.|
|Rebuild balances||Create initial account balances for the selected financial dimension set|
|Update balances||Update existing account balances for the selected financial dimension set|
|Financial dimension set||The identifier of the financial dimension set|
|Name||A brief description of the financial dimension set|
|Selected financial dimensions||
The financial dimensions that are included in the selected financial dimension set.
The order in which financial dimension sets are displayed determines how transactions are sorted and fields are printed on reports.
|Available financial dimensions||
The financial dimensions that are available to be included in the selected financial dimension set.
Oak Hall Group provides implementation and support services to Microsoft Dynamics 365 users, companies, partners, and Microsoft. Our team has over 50 combined years of experience with the product and implementations. Contact us for Implementation and Support Services.